Look at the words on the Icon Ascension visual aid. These words may seem similar but in fact they are different parts on the same elevating path. You can even achieve one without another…but it almost always starts with RESPECT. (How many of you are hearing Aretha Franklin right now? Lol.)
RESPECT comes from accomplishments and results.
TRUST comes from consistency and maybe even a track record of experience.
INFLUENCE comes from a combination of both Respect and Trust.
CELEBRITY comes from lots of big positive exposure, but it’s always respected or trusted by everyone.
ICON comes from being the best of the best in your area or industry for long periods of time.
These pieces and parts are a book (or at least a long article) but for the sake of this email start with RESPECT. There is nothing wrong with working to earn people’s RESPECT.
There is strong power in real and true respect.
Make it your goal in this coming week, coming month and coming year to earn and expect respect. Here’s a couple definitions that will help you really understand it’s empowering meaning.
1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
2. to admire someone or something deeply, as a result of their abilities, attributes, or achievements.
Respect is a feeling that can change minds, persuade people and inspire action. Leaders, authors, speakers, coaches, consultants, trainers and experts alike will benefit greatly from gaining respect.
The formula for respect is demonstrating your talents and abilities to the point of achievements and accomplishments. This includes but is not limited to…
- Showing up on time
- Saying what you will do and doing what you say
- Putting in the hours but, more importantly, being productive
- Winning awards
- Attracting testimonials and endorsements
- Being featured in the media
- Serving on a board of advisors or directors
- Earning certificates and diplomas
- Getting results in your profession
- Creating transformation evident with before and after images
- People asking you how you accomplished what you achieved
And there is a lot more!
Who do you respect and why? It could be as simple as you are respecting a parent because of how you’ve seen them interact with their child or as professional as someone in your industry that you see excelling.
It might seem kind of funny or too self-centered to focus so much on your respect in the world but it’s a strong step towards influencing others. If we want to influence and change the world for the better, you need to be able to inspire action in others…and that starts with being RESPECTED.
At the end of 2019 and as you go into 2020 it’s great to survey yourself on the respect you require and expect to become the type of leader you want and need to be. Do you have the kind of respect that will lead to trust and influence in order to achieve a lasting positive impact on the world around you?